Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Closed Communication The Silent Veteran

For most of this project I have been pursuing Vietnam Veterans that would commit to an interview. My objective was clear, I would be presenting questions that only dealt with the health care services that were available to Vietnam servicemen after they had served their tour of duty. This seem a harmless task and I was fairly confident that I could find a veteran to speak with me about this subject, but much to my chagrin, this was quite a difficult task. Vietnam Veterans are silent vessels. Some of the veterans that I came in contact with had never saw the battlefield, but they were still reluctant to speak to me. Of course this just made me more determined and curious as to why these servicemen chose to be silent. I need a new approach and came in contact with a father and son that had both served in the military. The father served in Vietnam as a pilot and his son Matt served in the Iraqi war. Matt was willing to do an interview with me and tell me his dads story as well as his own and how the two wars have many similarities.

The Questions:
What kind of health care was available to service men after the Vietnam war and the Iraqi war?
What in your opinion do you feel went terrible wrong with the system, and do you feel the health coverage sector has changed for servicemen since the Vietnam war as opposed to the Iraqi war?
These wars that you and your father partook in both have had serious mental health repercussions, have you or your father suffered from heath issues of this kind as a result of your service duties?

No comments:

Post a Comment